Date(s) - August 31, 2023
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
This conference will examine next steps for decarbonising the Scottish energy system, and what is needed to realise 2045 net zero ambitions.
It is an opportunity for stakeholders and policymakers to discuss the Draft Energy Strategy and Just Transition Plan and consultation published in January 2023, including progress and priorities in delivering a Just Transition, and the role of the Just Transition Commission and Just Transition Fund.
Speakers will assess opportunities and barriers around scaling up renewable energy for domestic industry, transport and heat, with discussion on securing investment, meeting infrastructure needs, and commercialising new technologies.
Further sessions will examine key priorities for preparing for a Just Transition to achieve a net zero energy system and resilient economy, while supporting communities and tackling inequality.
Kersti Berge, Director of Energy and Climate Change, Scottish Government, will lead a keynote session during the event.
Overall, areas for discussion include:
• the current outlook for Scottish energy markets and wider energy sector challenges
• assessing the current marine planning system and infrastructure capacity to scale up renewable energy in Scotland
• considering challenges around offshore spatial planning in the North Sea, securing grid capacity, and what is needed to overcome network issues
• latest thinking on building up supply chains to prepare for plans to accelerate decarbonisation of domestic industry, transport and heat
• next steps for innovation across onshore and offshore energy generators, attracting investment, the role of hydrogen, and collaboration between sectors
• priorities for securing the workforce and green skills needed to realise a Just Transition
• delivering affordable energy across Scotland, plans to maximise community and locally-led energy projects, and transitioning away from fossil fuel-related economic activities
Find out more here.