Our sun is a nuclear reactor which emits energy in the form of photons to our planet every day. We call this Solar Energy. There are various ways that Solar Energy can be harnessed but the two main ways within the UK are via Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Panels and Solar Thermal Panels.
- Solar PV systems use direct and indirect (diffuse) light to convert solar energy into usable electricity.
- Solar Thermal uses solar energy to heat water / glycol via flat plate collectors or evacuated tube collectors.
- The electricity or heat created is low carbon and fast becoming the most cost-effective form of creating energy
- In 2020 the UK generated over 13,000 GWh of electricity from solar photovoltaics
- China produces by far the most solar energy in the world, measured at 205 GW in 2019, according to the IEA’s Renewables 2020 report