Our vision is of a thriving, globally competitive, low carbon energy economy.
We are responsible for:
- Energy security – making sure UK businesses and households have secure supplies of energy for light and power, heat and transport
- Action on climate change – leading government efforts to mitigate climate change, both through international action and cutting UK greenhouse gas emissions by at least 80% by 2050 (including by sourcing at least 15% of our energy from renewables sources by 2020)
- Renewable energy – sourcing at least 15% of our energy from renewable sources by 2020
- Affordability – delivering secure, low carbon energy at the least cost to consumers, taxpayers and the economy
- Fairness – making sure the costs and benefits of our policies are distributed fairly so that we protect the most vulnerable and fuel poor households and address competitiveness problems faced by energy intensive industries
- Supporting growth – delivering our policies in a way that maximises the benefits to the economy in terms of jobs, growth and investment, including making the most of our existing oil and gas reserves and seizing the opportunities presented by the rise of the global green economy.
For further information contact:
Offshore Renewables Team
Office for Renewable Energy Deployment (ORED)
Department of Energy and Climate Change
86-88 Guild Street