The European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) is Scotland’s largest offshore wind test and demonstration facility which is being developed by Vattenfall-owned Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Limited and is supported by AREG.
Located in Aberdeen Bay, the innovative 92.4MW 11-turbine offshore wind scheme will trial next generation technology and once operational, boost the industry’s drive to competitive clean power.
Underlining the vision for the more than £300 million EOWDC is the installation of V164-8.4MW turbines paired with suction bucket foundations. An industry first. Construction of the facility, which also includes 66kV cabling, began in October 2016, with first power generating in summer 2018 and operating for 20 years.
The EOWDC has been awarded up to €40million of funding from the European Union.
The EOWDC will:
– Annually produce 309 GWh.
– Have an installed capacity of 92.4MW.
– Annually displace 132,977 tonnes of CO2.
– Remove the equivalent of 730,492 cars from UK roads throughout its lifetime.
– Produce enough electricity every year to meet the equivalent annual demand of 78,529 homes.
– Generate the equivalent of 70% of Aberdeen’s domestic electricity demand and 23% of Aberdeen’s total demand.
For further information on this project, visit: https://corporate.vattenfall.co.uk/projects/wind-energy-projects/european-offshore-wind-deployment-centre/