AREG aims to ensure that Aberdeen City and Shire and its businesses play a major role in the global energy revolution.
Established as a group of like-minded businesses in 2001 and formally incorporated as a not-for-profit independent company in 2003, AREG operates with its own board of directors drawn from the public and private sector and its wide-ranging activities are financially supported by Aberdeen City Council.
The company seeks to build on Aberdeen’s historical position as the oil and gas capital of Europe, transferring existing skills into renewables to create a complete energy mix and diversifying the local economy. AREG and its members are fast establishing the region as a renewable energy centre of excellence through initiating and delivering key renewable projects and working with partners to identify business opportunities.
With over 170 local members, AREG represents an impressive breadth and depth of energy expertise which continues to grow. Members include energy businesses, research institutes, professional consultants and economic development agencies. Their remarkable diversity extends into every realm of renewable energy – onshore and offshore wind, wave, tidal, biomass, hydrogen fuel cell, photovoltaic and thermal solar, hydro and geothermal.
AREG’s activities have included:
- Conceiving and driving forward plans to realise the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre – a ground breaking facility proposed by Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Ltd (AOWFL)
- Assisting in the delivery of EU funded hydrogen transport and infrastructure projects in Aberdeen
- Leading the development of a local biomass strategy
- Accelerating the transfer of upstream oil and gas expertise into offshore renewables
- Developing the local and national renewable energy supply chain
- Spearheading Aberdeen City and Shire’s drive into new energy markets and expanding global connections
- Delivering business networking opportunities, support and market information to our members