Established in 2001, AREG aims to ensure that Aberdeen City and Shire and its businesses play a major role in the global energy revolution.
AREG seeks to position the region as a renewable energy centre of excellence through initiating and delivering key renewable projects andÂ working with member companies to identify business opportunities and promote their skills and expertise.
AREG is an incorporated company with an independent board and its wide-ranging activities are financially supported by Aberdeen City Council.
With overÂ 170 local members, AREG represents an impressive breadth and depth of energy experience and expertise which continues to grow.
AREG members include energy businesses, research institutes,Â professional consultants and economic development agencies. Their remarkable diversity extends into every source of renewable energy â€“ onshore and offshore wind, wave, tidal, biomass, hydrogen fuel cell, photovoltaic and thermal solar, hydroÂ and geothermal.
AREG’s activities include:
- The European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre – a ground breaking new facility currently being developed by Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Ltd (AOWFL) â€“ a joint venture between Vattenfall and Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group (AREG) â€“ plus consortium partner Technip
- Assisting in the delivery of EU funded hydrogen transport and infrastructure projects in Aberdeen
- Leading the development of a local biomass strategy
- Accelerating the transfer of upstream oil and gas expertise into offshoreÂ renewables
- Developing the local and national renewable energy supply chain
- Spearheading Aberdeen City and Shireâ€™s drive into new energy markets and expanding global connections
- Delivering business networking opportunities, supportÂ and market information to our members